If you’ve read everything so far, took all your measurements, and you have determined you need a custom bra, I celebrate your decision to treat yourself to hopefully the most comfortable underwire bra you’ve ever worn. If not, let me know. My goal is to make you happy.
Breast Measurement Guide
Measure wearing your best, non-padded bra. For the last two steps, you will need to remove your bra.
Be sure to account for any breast tissue that may not fit in the cup. If you don’t add that and your cup is already too small, then you’ll just be measuring the bra that doesn’t fit you. Also, be sure the measuring tape does not include the underwire.
Click here to download these instructions.
Watch step by step directions here. (Please note these are outdated as of November 19, 2017. The information is still there, but the sequence is not the same as the steps in this guide.)
Must Measure Accurately to an ⅛th of an inch.
Step 1: Horizontal Apex for Left and Right Breasts
1(R). Right Breast Horizontal Apex (from side breast, across nipple, to other side):_________
1(L). Left Breast Horizontal Apex (from side breast, across nipple, to other side):________
Step 2: Vertical Apex for Left and Right Breasts
2(R). Right Breast Vertical Apex (from top of breast mound, over nipple, to the inframammary crease):_______
2(L). Left Breast Vertical Apex (from top of breast mound, over nipple, to the inframammary crease):_______
Step 3: Bottom Cup
3. Measurements for larger breast:_________
Step 4: Full Bust
4. Full bust circumference, over nipples and around back, keeping tape horizontal:_________
Step 5: Underbust
5. Important! This measurement needs to be snug. Take a deep breath, exhale, and then measure. Total circumference at underbust, keeping tape horizontal:__________
Step 6: Front Underbust Only
6. Front half underbust from one side, across front underbust, to the other side:__________
Step 7: Side Seam
7. Side Seam (from center side, directly under arm pit to side breast at top, on the side of larger breast):_________
The last two steps must be measured without wearing a bra.
Step 8: Sternum Width/Gore
8. Gore Width (space between breasts at top where breast tissue begins. For this measurement, remove your bra. Keep your elbows as close to your side while taking this measurement.):_________
Step 9: Breast Root Trace
9. Breast root trace. Use the flexible ruler to find the curve of your inframammary crease. (This is the curve under your breast, where your breast tissue and rib cage meet.) You may need a partner to form the ruler to your curve. Lift up your breast with your hand (use the larger if they are uneven), form the curve to your crease, and carefully move the ruler to a sheet of paper. Be sure that the flexible ruler matches your breast root precisely. Trace the inside curve and indicate the front center of the body and the underarm.
Remember, your bra will only be as good as these measurements, so be accurate and measure at least twice.